How to Get Married in Colorado | Alter Family Law | Colorado Divorce and Family Law Attorney Skip to content

So you decided to take the leap. There are three steps to getting formally married in Colorado. (Common Law Marriage is discussed here).

  1. Apply for a Marriage License;
  2. Complete the Marriage License and Certificate; and;
  3. Record the Marriage License and Certificate.


Applying for a Marriage License


You both should go to your county clerk’s office with a completed marriage license application which you can find online at your county clerk’s website (if available) or at the clerk’s office. Bring cash for the fee (usually around $30), a valid photo i.d. such as a driver’s license, and have the following information handy: your social security numbers (If you don’t have this there is an affidavit to sign instead), places of birth, your parents’ names, and your current address(es).

Previously Married? Bring a certified copy of you divorce decree if you were divorced within the last 30 days. Otherwise, make sure you have the date, place and court where the divorce decree entered (you should probably have the case number as well).

16 or 17 years old? You will need a parental consent form.

15 or younger? You will need a court order from the Juvenile Court.

One of the Parties Can’t Appear? That party needs to fill out a marriage absentee affidavit.


Completing the Marriage License and Certificate


You’ve turned in your application which was approved and have received an uncompleted marriage license and certificate (they usually come together). Now what?

Fill in the requested information such as names, placed, date and time of marriage, etc. Then, it needs to be solemnized by a judge, clergy, or other recognized official (the clerk’s office usually has someone). You can also self-solemnize.


Recording your Marriage License


After the license and certificate has been completed. you need to deliver the license/certificate within 63 days (most timelines in Colorado are in multiples of 7) to the county recorder’s office, which is usually near the clerk’s office.

If you had your name changed on the marriage license/certificate, you can then get certified copies and have your name changed on other official documents, such as your driver’s license, social security card and voter registration.

Leave a Comment

Scroll To Top